As of today, Feb. 5, 2022 , reservations have opened for visits to the island of Monte Cristo. Excursions are organized and fully managed by the Tuscan Archipelago National Park. The first set for March 19, the last for September 25. A maximum of 2,000 visitors per year are allowed on the island, of which 100 places are reserved for the inhabitants of the Tuscan Archipelago who enjoy a subsidized rate.
The online Calendar on the Park Authority’s website predicts about 21 departures from Piombino Marittima, with a stopover in Porto Azzurro- Elba Island and two departures from Porto Santo Stefano with a stopover in Giglio Porto- Giglio Island. Departures from Porto Santo Stefano are made with our M/V Revenge.
Each calendar date allows 75 people to visit. The cost of the excursion is:
Euro 130 per person and includes round-trip sea transportation, access ticket to the protected area and Guide service, for non-residents of the Tuscan Archipelago Park.
Euro 60 per person and includes round-trip sea transportation, access ticket to the protected area and Guide service, for residents of the Tuscan Archipelago Park.
Services are taken care of by Info Park Archipelago Toscano contacted at tel. +39 0565 908231
To make reservations, the InfoPark site can be accessed from this link
SEE CONDITIONS FOR BOOKING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE
THE ORGANIZATION OF THE VISIT
Due to the uniqueness and value of Montecristo Island, the limited visits allowed are aimed at appreciating the exceptional environmental features and not at a beach-type enjoyment. Consequently, it is not possible to move around the island independently, and for the stay on the beach of Cala Maestra it is
obligatory to follow the directions of the Guides (it is not allowed to place umbrellas and beach towels on the beach).
The visit consists of a trekking excursion exclusively along three authorized trails.
The distribution of visitors to the three trekking routes and the organization of the hike will be determined by the Guides after landing on the island.
Hiking can be done only if you are equipped with hiking shoes (sculpted soles and preferably ankle-high).
Judgment on the appropriateness of footwear is the responsibility of the Guide and is final. In case of inadequate clothing, the Guide may decide not to let people participate in the visit. The routes are as follows:
– First route: Cala Maestra – Belvedere – Villa Reale
Length: m 2,031
Time: 2 hours
– Second route: Cala Maestra – Monastery – Royal Villa
Length: m 3,110
Time: 3 hours
– Third route: Cala Maestra – Grotta del Santo – Monastery – Villa Reale
Length: m 3,610
Time: 3 hours and 30 min.
For the excursion, visitors will be divided into groups of 12, and each group will be accompanied by a Guide.
No waste of any kind is allowed to be left on the island (be provided with appropriate container for recovery and transportation).
Passengers must report to the embarkation pier 30 minutes before departure with the identification documents indicated at the time of booking.
The island is under the surveillance of the Carabinieri Foresteri.
CLOTHING AND VISITING TIPS
The peculiar environmental characteristics of the Island and the manner in which the guided tour is conducted suggest that special behaviors and expedients should be followed in order to enjoy to the fullest the extraordinary emotions given by the excursion to Montecristo.
- Although we are on a magnificent island in the Tyrrhenian Sea, the routes proposed for the visit are to be considered real mountain routes, certainly challenging. These are trails that run along elevation profiles characterized by steep inclines and differences in elevation of some significance, on natural ground that is often slippery due to the presence of water and/or the nature of the walking surface (smooth granite surfaces). The hikes, planned in the spring, summer and fall periods, may take place in weather conditions that are not entirely comfortable, such as high wind, rain, high temperature and/or humidity.
- Clothing should be comfortable and light. In spring and fall, a windproof and waterproof jacket is recommended , with layered clothing to avoid excessive sweating and be equipped against the wind.
- Hiking can be done only if you are equipped with hiking shoes (sculpted school and preferably ankle-high due to the type of bottom and the presence of vipers).
- Judgment on the appropriateness of footwear is the responsibility of the Guide and is final.
- Technical socks are recommended to avoid excessive sweating.
- In case of inadequate clothing, the guide may decide not to let people participate in the tour. It is not possible to move around the island independently and for the stay on the beach of Cala Maestra is obligatory to follow the directions of the Forest Carabinieri and Guides (The beach is in no way subject to enjoyment, and umbrellas and beach towels may not be placed on the beach).
- Hiking poles are recommended; they can be useful, especially for balance and are a great way to take some of the weight off your arms while decreasing the load on your legs and spine.
- A sun hat and sunscreen and sunglasses are recommended.
- Provide sufficient water supply (at least 1.5 liters). The participant will have to arrange for his or her own lunch, which will be eaten packed. There is no provision for water supply on the island, nor for the purchase of food and drinks of any kind.
- It is advisable to have binoculars and a notebook to record any nature observations.
- It is advisable to use an appropriate hiking backpack to carry water and provisions, as well as any recommended equipment (spare clothing, hat, sunscreen, camera, binoculars, notebook, etc.).
Not to be forgotten is the fact that the island is Special Protection Area
- On land: 100% of the territory (zone 1); also included in the perimeter of the Park is Scoglio d’Africa or Formica di Montecristo.
- At sea: 100% up to 1 km from the coast (zone 1). The island is also on the list of Special Protection Areas (SPAs), classified under Directive 79/409/EEC.
Access is regulated on land and sea. Land use is severely limited in number and managed by the Park Authority and the Carabinieri Biodiversity Regiment-Biodiversity Department in Follonica (GR). At sea, bathing and circumnavigation is strictly prohibited.
ACCESS BY SEA WITH PRIVATE BOATS
In case you want to access by sea with private boats, the visit will be conducted by the staff of the Carabinieri Forestali and will allow the descent ashore and visit only the appurtenances of Cala Maestra and the museum (please note that bathing is prohibited on Montecristo Island)
As of 2019, access is fee-based and a single watercraft per day with a maximum of 15 people on board may be authorized, a maximum of 3 accesses per week are allowed, avoiding overlapping with the Park’s guided tour schedule, and authorization cannot be issued before n. 2 years to the same call sign and vessel. The structural limitations of the pier present in Cala Maestra allow the landing of vessels not exceeding 16 meters. Costs of gaining access to the island:
€ 100 for recreational vessels with a hull length of 10 m or less;
€ 500 for pleasure boats with a hull length of more than 10 m and 16 m or less;
€ 25 for each passenger present on the above-mentioned watercraft.
In this case, the request for access must be made directly to the
Carabinieri Biodiversity Department of Follonica (GR)
tel no. 0566 40611 – fax no. 0566 44616
office e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about the island of Montecristo you can check out our small Online Guide
THE COSTS OF THE VISIT AND THE CONDITIONS OF THE RESERVATION
€ 130.00 per person for tourist enjoyment from Elba – Piombino and from Porto S. Stefano – Giglio;
€ 60.00 per person for enjoyment intended for adult residents in the municipalities of the islands of the Tuscan Archipelago (places available at this rate nr. 100, to be booked by March 6).
There are no reasons for reimbursement due to causes beyond the organization’s control. In the event that scheduled visits are canceled due to adverse marine weather conditions or as a result of pandemic regulations from COVID-19, visitors will be offered an alternative date.
In case the alternative date is not accepted a refund will be made.
It is possible to stipulate by applying to Info Park at Tel. 0565908231; or
, an insurance policy,
PHILODIRECT (link to policy document), at a cost of €10.00 per person, which in the event of cancellation of the trip (due to events under the policy), entitles to compensation, after deduction of €50.00 per person; in case of hospitalization or Covid 19 infection, the deduction does not apply. The guarantee must be signed on the same day of the reservation and no later than 24 hours later by sending an email to the above address indicating the first name, last name, place and date of birth of all participants.
Reservation is nominative and non-transferable; no substitution of names and details given during reservation is possible.
INDICATION OF PORTS AND BOARDING TIMES
Piombino – Porto Azzurro (Elba Island) – Montecristo round trip
Departure from Piombino Marittima 08:30 a.m. – Arrival in Porto Azzurro 09:20 a.m.
Departure from Porto Azzurro 09:30 a.m. – Arrival in Montecristo 11:15 a.m.
Departure from Montecristo 4:15 p.m. – Arrival in Porto Azzurro 6 p.m.
Departure from Porto Azzurro 18:10 hours – Arrival in Piombino Marittima 19:00 hours
Porto S. Stefano – Giglio Porto (Giglio Island) – Montecristo a/r
Departure from Porto S. Stefano 08:30 a. m. – Arrival Isola del Giglio 09:20 a.m.
Departure Isola del Giglio 09:30 a.m. – Arrival at Montecristo 11:30 a.m.
Departure from Montecristo 4:15 p.m. – Arrival Isola del Giglio 6:00 p.m.
Departure Giglio Island 6:10 p.m. – Arrival Porto S. Stefano 7:00 p.m.